Brian D

Default Resins, Fillers and glues

Although 5200 is a great product, and even seals tighter when wet, I do not
believe it sticks very well to UHMW either. And for those interested in
5200, note that 3M also makes a faster curing version (like 1 week instead
of 2). I think it's something like 4200? Can't remember... I only use
5200 for sealing things that won't be coming off again (hopefully).
Officially, it is an adhesive caulk, not an adhesive.

--
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/tongass -- My 22' Tolman Skiff project
http://www.advantagecomposites.com/catalog -- Discounted System Three

..
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Steve Lusardi" writes:

Everyone on this NG is aware of the typical adhesives, but I would like

alert those who may not be familiar with the 3M 5200 product. This is

the
ultimate adhesive and not necessarily just where flexibility is

required.
This stuff is incredibly strong. It is next to impossible to separate a
glued joint with 5200 without destoying one of both of the components.

It
adheres to everything I've tried steel, aluminum, plastic and wood of

all
kinds. It is waterproof and works through huge temperature change unlike
many adhesives. The dissadvantages are cost, shelf life and long curing
time. As a not, do not use as a sealer, it may work sometimes in that
department, but it is primarily an adhesive.

5200 will NOT bond to copper and does not resist diesel.

None of the urethane adhesives will bond to copper and only SikaFlex 291

can
be used for diesel.

The above straight from application engineering for both 3M and Sika.

As far as glues, etc are concerned, consider the following:

Resorcinol is required for white oak.

Epoxy is the glue of choice for everything else.

After that, it's all down hill.

If the cost of epoxy is too big a nut for you to handle, maybe you should
look for another hobby.

--
Lew

S/A: Challenge, The Bullet Proof Boat, (Under Construction in the

Southland)
Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures