posted to rec.boats.building
Daniele Fua[_2_] Daniele Fua[_2_] is offline

Default Bronze maintenance

Peggie Hall ha scritto:

The item will be under deck, no UV but with salty water running inside
and occasionally seeping out.

That shouldn't happen! If it does, the toilet is in need of maintenance
or repair!

Not really. It is pretty normal that a little tiny weeny drop seeps out
from the pump shaft seal before someone realizes it and gives an nth of
a turn to the gland assembly.

I wonder if I could epoxy coat also the inner parts like the cylinder
of the pump.

No no no! Coating it with anything will change the inner diameter,
causing seals, o-rings etc not to fit properly. Don't use anything to
clean the inside of the cylinder that can scratch the metal.

A bit of change of the inner diameter could be largely taken care by
wear (or I should have rather written it vice-versa). What convinces me
more is the possibility suggested by Steve of the epoxy coating falling
apart.

If the inside of the pump cylinder is crusty with sea water minerals,
remove all the parts and soak the cylinder in distilled white vinegar
overnight.

I have already done it. Believe me, not a nice job... I would not call
them "sea water minerals" only...

Once it's clean, the only thing the pump cylinder needs is lubrication
to protect the rubber o-rings, seals etc from wear. While you have it
apart, just before closing it up, squirt about 3 ml. of thick teflon
grease into the cylinder...pump a few times to spread it all over the
inside of the cylinder...that's it. Every few weeks, put a tablespoon or
two (any more than that will just wash out) of mineral oil into the bowl
and flush it to keep it lubricated.

The use of mineral oil is discouraged by Blakes manual. They say that it
will spoil the rubber gaskets. Their advice is to use liquid dish soap
and to date I always followed it.

To prevent future sea water mineral buildup in the lines and pump, flush
a cupful of distilled white vinegar once a week, especially right before
the boat will sit.

This is a good suggestion, especially if it will spare my next "not nice
job" mentioned above (even if the last was 8 years ago, I reckon).

And finally, contact a Blakes distributor for an owners manual and
advice about any parts needed now. Take their advice and then
scrupulously follow installation, operation and maintenance instructions
in the manual. If you do that, this toilet will provide decades of
reliable trouble-free service.

I am one of the best client and income provider of Blakes in UK (or
whoever owns it) and always followed their instructions with blind
faith. Guess what! I even got the special tools needed to disassemble it!
Like you, I am a great fan of their toilet and I am spending time (not
only time...) on it because:
1) it looks like a great piece of industrial archeology I am fond of
2) it will do faithfully its job for ever
3) it is very functional, sturdy and well designed
4) I would never trade it with a plastic one

Or...I'll be glad to restore it for you if you'd like to send the toilet
to me along with YOUR banking coordinates to cover the cost! LOL

Not right now, next time...

Thank you for spending your time with me
Daniel