posted to rec.boats.building
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Blakes toilet

Daniela,
Bronze is nice because you don't have to maintain it, so a patina is normal,
leave it be. If you insist on cleaning it up, try a fine scotch-brite pad
and then Brasso. It is hard work, but will look very nice. To preserve the
polish as long as possible, use Johnsons floor wax. You must use several
coats. You will notice the first coat will act as a detergent flushing the
residual polish that remains in the surface of the bronze. The application
of any clear coat paint will eventually fail and really make a mess, so
don't do it.
Steve

"Daniele Fua" wrote in message
. ..
I have a beautiful classic Blakes toilet in very good working condition but
fair exterior appearance. It is all made of marine grade bronze and
originally mostly painted and partly chrome plated. I am presently brushing
all the paint off and wondering what to do next.
1) paint again with... what?
2) have everything chrome plated.
3) clean well and leave the bronze as it is.
3) coat the cleaned bronze with a transparent coating. Which one?

Personally I would choose not to paint it in white again but all kind of
advices are very welcome.

Daniel