posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] dougking888@yahoo.com is offline

Default Seamanship Question# #41

On Oct 17, 9:43*am, Bart wrote:
On Oct 15, 11:16*am, Bart wrote:

What boat safety gear (not personal gear) should you
have below just inside the companionway? *1 pt

DOES ANYONE HERE KEEP A COLLISION AVOIDANCE FLARE,
DRY AND HANDY, JUST INSIDE THE COMPANIONWAY?

http://www.pangolin.co.nz/jetsam/view_article.php?idx=7

This is the reason I started this thread. *I was curious if anyone
carried one of these in a handy location.

Yep, I forgot to mention that I have a bunch of white flare rounds for
the flare gun on the tugboat. The flare kit is one of the larger round
OLIN cannisters with the "ready" flares, and then a back-up kit of
expired flares in a security briefcase under the pilothouse seat.
Actually, in an emergency, my plan is to use the expired "back-up"
flares first.

How often do you need them? *Perhaps never, but it is a
comforting thing to have and a worthwhile piece of equipment
to have handy.

Never needed one, but if I did it would be darn nice to have it!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King