Eisboch Eisboch is offline

Default Why is Sarah Palin in...

"Tom Francis - SWSports" wrote in
message ...

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 07:34:40 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

I remember as a youth listening to my dad preaching, "You don't get
something for nothing", a variation of "TANSTAAFL".

Exactly. We grew up with parents who survived the Depression remember
- those of us who listened and learned are in good shape.

It's difficult - I know it is, but things aren't as bad as they could
be. People are still working - there is still demand for plumbers,
carpenters, electricians, engineers, technicians, programmers. Those
who have the skills will be fine.

It's the people on the fringe who won't make it. Some feel that's not
fair. I don't. Somebody has to lose in order for somebody else to
win. Redistributing wealth doesn't solve anything because it only
fosters a belief that somebody will solve my problem for me and they
will continue to fail.

Part of the problem, IMO, is an assumption now-a-days that going to school
and getting a degree automatically entitles one for a high paying,
successful career. For some, their sheepskin is their only significant
accomplishment and it should be the key to success.

I certainly believe in getting an education and a degree, but let's be
honest. Except for some disiplines, an undergraduate degree is not
exactly difficult to earn. We've over-emphasized it's value at the expense
of other, basic requirements for success like hard work, patience, loyalty,
dedication, tenacity and a healthy portion of old fashioned common sense.

Here's another prediction for you - the Senate will stay as it is, the
House will gain a few Democrat seats and who ever wins the Presidency
will be a one-term holder of that office.

And who will win the Presidency?

McCain - 52/48 over Obama.

Without the recent Wall Steet Meltdown, I'd agree with you. Right now, I
think people are so disgusted (and scared) that Obama's promise of a chicken
in every pot will usher him into the White House next January. The
reaction by many voters is consistent with the other points you (and I)
have attempted to make in this thread. The reality will be not a whole
chicken, but just a skinny wing or two.

Eisboch