posted to rec.boats.building
Rick Morel Rick Morel is offline

Default installing a calorifier

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:11:28 -0700 (PDT), CS
wrote:

Not so. Calorifier connections can be taken off and returned before
the thermostat housing or either side of the thermostat housing - out
to cal before thermostat and return after, or worst case both after
the thermstat housing. I had a calorifier coil connected the second
way and engine had no problems heating up to correct temp. In fact I
now have a substantial heat exchanger in place of the calorifier so
that the engine heats up the entire CH system - 2 calorifiers and 14
radiators. When I had an airlock in the keel cooling system, engine
cooling was achieved using the radiators.

That makes sense. I was going with the "standard" setup as used here
in the US. I would think the cal / water heater should be downstream
of the heat exchanger only to keep the temperature of the heated water
a bit lower.

Logic says it really shouldn't matter which way or even how many as
long as all the goodies are connected in series. The water will
circulate no matter what. I would think the only thing that could
cause a problem would be to go to a smaller hose/tubing that could
cause a restriction.

http://www.luxe-motor-kei.co.uk/inte.../image179.html

WOW! Beautiful job on everything!