posted to rec.boats.building
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default installing a calorifier

Rick,
That is backwards. The colrifier must be in the engine return water path,
not the engine feed.
Steve

"Rick Morel" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 21:23:32 +0200, (Juan Bassols)
wrote:

Rick, then there is no need of an additional thermostatic valve? and the
water flows first through the calorifier and then trough the sea water
heat exchanger? I assume a calorifier has only very little pressure drop
and does not influence the total water flow, is this correct?

Yes, no additional thermostat. The regular engine thermostat regulates
the cooling water temperature. The shower water in the calorifier will
be about the same temperature as the cooling water. If your engine
runs at 180 deg F, the calorifier water will be about 180 deg F once
it all equalizes.

No, the water flows first through the heat exchanger and then though
the calorifier. I'm not sure that it really matters. You've got me
curious, but I would think that the water exits the heat exchanger a
bit cooler than the thermostat setting. This would be good because 180
deg hot water is a bit HOT! I'm going to check the temperatures with
my infrared thermometer next weekend when we go to the boat. I'll let
you know.

Anyway, cooling water exits the heat exchanger, goes to the
calorifier, then exits the calorifier to the engine return.

No, doesn't influence the total water flow or very little. Boats have
been using this for at least 50 years or more. It's really just like
in your car, where the cooling water goes though the heater core. Just
about every car manual says to turn the heater on if the engine
overheats to get extra water and a bit more cooling from the airflow
over the heater core.

I am thinking on a small calorifier like yours, 25 liters or 6 gal,
preparing the boat for a longer cruise as soon as our young daughter
gets 5 years old and before she enter school. Maybe half a year or
longer, maybe to the Caribean..
Juan (Barcelona, Spain)

Taking "Navy showers", this is enough for each of us to take a shower,
one right after the other and still have hot water left over to wash
dishes. Of course we usually shower together, but sometimes... :-)

Rick
** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **