posted to rec.boats.building
jim.isbell jim.isbell is offline

Default installing a calorifier

On Oct 11, 9:16 am, "Steve Lusardi" wrote:
Rick,
No, I'm not kidding. I know many people use them, but that does not mitigate
the risks I stated. It is far more efficient and space saving to connect an
alternator to the same engine and drive a tankless heater, which not only
eliminates the stated risks, but also allows the location of the water
heater in any available space, electric power for other purposes and the
cost is either equal to or less than, the cost of the calorifier. Sometimes
a colorifier will also have a bung where an electric heater element can be
used when shore power is connected.

This is ridiculous. Water heaters do not hurt the engine for the
simple reason that the thermostat will keep the coolant at a constant
temperature. Doesnt mater where you put the heater, the thermostat
will keep the engine at the same temperature all the time.