posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] don234@lanode.com is offline

Default Starting Over

On 10 Oct, 19:54, "jlrogers±³©" wrote:
My recent employer, as a going away gift (bribe?), gave me a gift
certificate for some sailing time at South Coast Sailing Adventures out of
Kemah, TX. I have decided to apply it to sailing lessons, beginning with
ASA 101 through basic coastal cruising, and bareboat charting. I figure
this will give me an opportunity to find out if I am still capable of
sailing and enjoying it as much as 25 years ago. Also, I will be staying
aboard rather than spending the nights at a motel during class periods.
($50.00 a night).

First up is a two day session beginning next Thursday. Hopefully I will
meet some folks in the area who need (or at least will settle for) some
inexperienced crew help.

Any suggestions or helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hi JL.

I would suggest that you do not understimate your abilities.

I've had ex-members of the British RN as crew. They are
awsome. It never ceases to amaze me that they accept me
as skipper! They never question my decisions, even though
I *know* that they are better qualified than I am to take these
decisions.

What I am saying is that they really underestimate their
abilities. I think that military service makes you feel much
less competent than you really are. When you think about
it, this makes sense for the military environment.

You write sensibly. So I guess that you are sensible. You know
that a trip into a F8 headwind is silly. Don't worry about
your ability. When you are in the class of learners you will
see that that you have loads of experience.

Regards

Donal