posted to alt.sailing.asa
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default Starting Over

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 12:29:13 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

It's interesting that sometimes fairly nasty conditions yield no problem,
when the benign stuff causes problems. I'm usually more prone as the
conditions deteriorate, but I usually recover pretty quickly.

Went out one time in a 36' with some workmates. Motoring only,
absolutely flat water. One guy almost died from seasickness.
Some people really have trouble with it.

I had the opposite situation happen while sailing out of Santa Cruz several
years ago. It was a beautiful and calm day with light air and lazy,
no-dramatic swells. You could see this from shore. We were on a 45' sloop.
Yet, I started to feel quesy on the foredeck. Moved back to the cockpit and
felt better, but if I would have stayed forward....

Can be a huge difference, especially with pitching.
I was berthed about midships, and always wondered what the guys in the
foc'sle were going through when I could barely stay in my rack.
The v-berth is likewise a bad place when pitching/yawing.

--Vic