Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default Haversine Calculator

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 23:13:16 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 01:56:42 GMT, (Richard
Casady) wrote:

You can't possibly think the difference between a 6 mi long rhumb line
and a great circle is of any significant.

It makes a big difference on 3,000 mile east/west passages however,
especially in higher latitudes.

That is the extreme case where following the GC is of the most
benefit. Thirty five years ago I had a HP calculator that took
magnetic cards. I had the Nav pack and it would give the distance and
heading between two points. I think it would split it up into
waypoints for a better approximation.

Casady