posted to alt.sailing.asa
[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default My New Boat!!! What did RB Pick????

On Thu, 9 Oct 2008 15:10:50 -0700, "Capt. JG"
wrote:

I would say that while I have a fairly diverse sailing CV, Doug probably has
a more extensive one, as does Bart, and a couple of others. I don't have
long-term, deep water experience, at least not over a couple of weeks worth
in one shot. I think I also have a fairly decent level of experience with
different makes and models. I think the best method of picking a boat to own
is to sail lots of different boats. That's what I tell my students. It's not
clear to me how much experience BS has in this regard because it's hard to
separate the BS from BS.

I'm not a big fan of pilot house boats... lots of windage and potential for
losing portlights in bad conditions.

The Corbin, while a pilot house, doesn't really suffer from excess
windage as badly as the typical pilot house configuration. The
topsides are a little tall, but other than the small pilot house, the
rest of the boat is a flush deck. The pilot house is pretty much the
only thing that sticks up higher than the gunwhales. It's also got a
reputation as being a very tough boat. People cruise the high
latitudes with them.