Lew Hodgett

Default Bonding epoxy to a polyester substrate

"Dan" writes:

Lew,
Why do you need both, espicially the Micro-ballons?

The micro-balloons provide the necessary filler and bonding characteristics
while the fumed silica improves the "hang time" and abrasion
characteristics.
(Sanding fumed silica filled epoxy is a real bear)

If I were to use only one, it would be microballoons.

What about below the water line? Or in my case, replacing the sail
drive mount?

No problem below waterline.

Replacing a sail drive mount will probably also require some added glass.

You have to remember filled epoxy is basically just fairing putty. Makes
great glue but it is not a structural member.

HTH

--
Lew

Visit: http://home.earthlink.net/~lewhodgett for Pictures