Dan

Default Bonding epoxy to a polyester substrate

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 17:19:06 GMT, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

"bruce" writes:
What is the correct/best method to glue together two surfaces of made
from polyester resin with epoxy glue? This is a structural bond not a
cosmetic one.
Will roughing up the surfaces with 180-grid sandpaper and then
cleaning with acetone be ok or do I need to do more than this.

The above won't get it done IMHO.

Use a right angle sander with 24 grit to really roughen both surfaces, then
sweep clean.

(I use a brush and a blow gun)

Be aggressive. If you grind away an 1/8" of polyester, it's NBD since you
will be replacing it with epoxy anyway.

Mix epoxy with some Cab-O-Sil and Micro-balloons to achieve a peanut butter
consistency.

(You need both, especially the Micro-balloons)

Lew,
Why do you need both, espicially the Micro-ballons?
What about below the water line? Or in my case, replacing the sail
drive mount?

Spread epoxy on both surfaces and position pieces leaving about 1/32"-1/16"
gap for the putty to fill.

Allow to cure for about 7-10 days before subjecting to a load.

HTH