rhys

Default Transom screw holes in fibreglass for transducer

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:11:18 GMT, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Here's yet another question about properly seating screws in laminate
fibreglass.

Transom: fibreglass over wood. I have three 1/8" holes for the
transducer mount screws. Should I widen those holes, fill them with
West 105/205, let it harden, and then redrill the 1/8' holes to put
the screws into solid fibreglass with 4200?

If so, then what filler should I harden the epxoy with -- silica?

Your techique is good, but why not through-bolt? A transducer is
light, sure, but through-bolting, fender washers and 4200 or 231 or
similar would give you a mount that will evenly compress, won't EVER
leak if bedded correctly, and most importantly (to me) if a trailing
line or whatever yanks on the transducer, IT will snap off rather than
the secured base. Screws, even properly bedded and isolated as your
technique indicates (which is good, by the way) might rip out if
something hooks on the transducer. This could leave a nasty hole in
the transom. Me, I would rather just lose the transducer in that case.

R.