posted to comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,rec.boats.cruising
[email protected] Bod43@hotmail.co.uk is offline

Default VGA over CAT5e

On 6 Oct, 18:30, Rick Jones wrote:
It might be worthwhile to think-out a bit beyond the size of the hole
though which you want to pass this signal. *Stuff like "what will
hold-up best when I'm at the bridge, in a storm, near a rocky shore
and I really need to know where I am?" *I say that only half in jest.

I have worked with commercial solutions using this technology.
Was about 5 or 6 years ago.

I forget the name of the product.

One serious problem was that by *design* (as I understand it)
the various different pairs in the cat5 cable have different
twist rates. This results in different cable lengths and
produces different delays for each of the
RGB and Sync. The solution overcame this by having
user adjustable delays controlled by DIP switches
at the remote end.

(or is sync on one of the RGB?) doesn't matter - is still broken.

NIGHTMARE - in the event of any moves or changes.

Not sure of your proposed length would run into this or not.
I suspect it would since the frequency required to drive
a display is rather high.

In the case I observed the differential delay issue
was *very* significant over two floors of
a narrow buillding.

There of course may be commercial solutions available now that
avoid the problems entirely. Perhaps by combining the
signals into one pair.

Composite Video?