Martin Baxter Martin Baxter is offline

Default Haversine Calculator

Gordon wrote:
Roger Long wrote:
"Wayne.B" wrote

Yes but there were, and still are, some risks:

I had dinner last night with the research vessel captain & mate who
have about 50 years experience in the
waters of Chesapeak Bay and offshore around the capes. I told them
what S&L are up to and they said "They've got more courage than we
do. I hope they don't make a habit of it."

I'm reminded of the saying that airplane pilots have:

"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are no old
bold pilots."

The much discussed corollary to that is that taking weather risks and
getting away with it tends to effect future judgement. They pulled
this off but I too hope they don't make a habit of it. If someone
with years of experience had done it, I would be thinking, "Good
weather call." but it looks different for a second offshore passage.

Roger

Don't forget they are using a professional weather router to guide and
advise them.
Gordon

Well, it looks like they are going to duck into Charleston and wait out
the nasty stuff slated for Miami. Maybe they/re getting tired?

Cheers
Martin