posted to comp.dcom.lans.ethernet,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,rec.boats.cruising
Alfred Alfred is offline

Default VGA over CAT5e

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008 17:23:03 +1300, "PeeCee" wrote:

wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I need to get a VGA signal from the Nav Station in my boat to the
monitor in the bridge. I could just run a VGA cable (about 4m worth)
but I need to pass the cable through some small holes for the looming
(sp?) and the DB15 connectors wont fit unless I make the hole bigger.

I am thinking about running the VGA singal over CAT5e, which a Google
search seems to suggest is possible. I was wondering if anyone had any
better ideas, keeping costs fairly low.

Has anyone here had any success cutting the end off a VGA cable and
wiring on a new DB15 for example?

Thanks in advance,

-Al

Al

Well I was going to say different cable for different uses, but then I found
this site:
http://www.geocities.com/dougburbidge/vgaovercat5.html
The author says they've achieved 15 metres.
For the cost of the cable and solder time, worth trying.

I used to make up VGA cables for control room applications. 15M using
individual screened conductors was about the recommended limit

If that doesn't work you can get gadgets that convert from VGA to RJ45 and
back again:
http://www.svideo.com/vgacat5.html

Best
Paul.