Stephen Baker

Default I build boats with tungsten

Carl Dau trolls:

Anyone experienced with tungsten-boats?

I actually started pricing up a tungsten bulb for a boat. About 9,000 lbs.
NOBODY had that much lying around, and by the time I finished calling round all
the suppliers, the price had nearly doubled. My theory was that they were all
calling each other looking for more, nad the old "supply and demand" thing
kicked in.
Believe me, we eventually built the whole boat, with conventional ballast, for
half of what the bulb would have cost.

The only way to go with shaping would have been to make sintered disks and bolt
them together. This may not be so easy for a hull, and the weight (50% MORE
than lead by volume) makes it unacceptable for most uses.

Good troll, though.... ;-P

Steve