Backyard Renegade

Default 88 Evenrude, won't stay running?

Well I have an 8 horse Rude, 1988, pull start, great condition, maybe
75 hours on it. Had a problem today, had to keep squeezing the ball
until it leaked to keep it running, but it really did not work. As
soon as I try to idle or now push the choke full off, it seems to run
out of fuel. I cleaned the carb, from outside, and put in new plugs,
made adjustments, still the same. I have to pull the choke a little to
start it, then is searches for idle,levels off, then eventually
sputters to a stop. Good compression, good spark, timing sounds on,
etc... Just runs out or fuel I think, or the float is stuck, down? I
choke it, pump the ball, and she will run at partial choke and high
idle setting, but as soon as you push the choke in that last 1/8 inch,
or put it to idle, it slows to a stop, wants to stay running, just
won't.
So here is my quesion. Can someone tell me how the fuel delivery
system works with this external tank and hand pump ball to squeeze. Is
there a fuel pump on the engine, how does it work, diaphram,
venturi??? Anyway, the choke lever goes into a fixture with a couple
of lines to the carb, and a electrical lead, could this unit just be
clogged, is it a usual task to clean it? I have cleaned the valve on
the side of the engine that seems to direct the fuel from the tank.
Anyway, long day, hope this makes sence, where would you start, and of
course if you are on the CT shoreline and want to come by I'll take
you fishin' when we get it runnin', Scotty from SmallBoats.com