Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default 30-35' cruising sailboat w/ drop-able mast

"Chuck Cox" wrote in message
Does anyone know of any coastal cruising sailboats in the 30-35 foot
range with masts that can be easily lowered & raised? I've looked at
trailerable boats, particularly the Mac 26, but they are too small and
I don't need trailerability, just the ability to fit under low
bridges. This would be for cruising the US east coast.

You should examine catamarans. I saw one some time ago where the mast
telescoped for self-righting purposes. When the boat capsized (as any
catamaran eventually does) rather than trying to turn it upright the
upside-down mast was telescoped up into the boat and extended out the top
which used to the be bottom. The hulls were built symmetrical horizontally
so it didn't matter which side was up. The rudders could be flipped 180
degrees. The furniture was gimbaled inside the hulls so it also assumed an
upright position no matter which way the hulls were oriented. For getting
under bridges you could just telescope the mast down most of the way.

Wilbur Hubbard