Peggie Hall

Default Getting hosed

Skip Gundlach wrote:
148 is recommended for grey water and as a bilge hose but it will not
stand up to odor permiation in toilet applications. 144 is somewhat
better but not much. 101 is the standard black water hose and Sealand's
Odorsafe is the best.

I see from their website that they now have an improved version (in 2004)
(abbreviated hereafter as SLOS+). I presume that means I'll need to be
careful where I buy it, as old stock might be present.

It doesn't matter whether you get "old" OdorSafe, AVS96 (which is the
same thing as "old" OS, but without SL's private label brand on it), or
"new" SLOS+. Of course SL is gonna call their new hose "new and
improved"--doesn't every mfr any time they change ANY even the color of
something?--but that's no guarantee that it's any better than the
original...which, btw, was outstanding.

I don't know if the
newer stuff has a price premium, either - but it seems the concensus is that
SLOS would last the lifetime of the boat, so perhaps it's of no event?

All 3 versions have about the same price tag.

I'd be interested to know what it was you talked about, and why the
personality clash.

He's not my favorite person either...I suspect for the same reasons
Glenn doesn't like him.

As to the longer runs, I'm all for the S40PVC - but
wonder if I can use the normal elbows and 45s to accomplish the transitions
which would be present in my rerunning the lines.

For example, the current installation of the aft head is a curved section
from the down-facing outlet of the Raritan PHII joker housing, reaching,
eventually, the aft engine room bulkhead for a fairly long run to the vented
loop before going (back, from the loop) down to a Y.

Just how long ARE these runs? The tank should be within 6' of the toilet.

I could see installing...

Skip... don't over-engineer it...KISS! The simpler, more straightforward
the plumbing, the better. If the current tank location will allow that,
it appears from your description of the plumbing that there are so many
bends in it that hard pipe will only over-complicate things...use hose.
If ther's a better location for the tank that will simplify the
plumbing, move it, even if that means replacing the tank to get one that
will fit the space.

You're welcome to get with me via email and/or phone to work it out.

--
Peggie