posted to rec.boats.electronics
Daniele Fua[_2_] Daniele Fua[_2_] is offline

Default simple NMEA display

Paul Hovnanian P.E. ha scritto:
When you say 'build', what is your experience level with hardware and
software.

There are a number of microcontroller development kits that can do what
you want. Displays available range from 2x16 character backlit
alphanumeric LCDs to QVGA (quarter VGA) bit-mapped graphics.

This outfit: http://www.parallax.com/ sells a range of products that can
do what you want if you have the skill to cobble some hardware and code
together. If that's beyond your skill level or your time is worth too
much, a ready-made unit is a better choice.

The good thing about some of these kits is that there are enough users
groups on-line that someone may already have solved your problem for
you. Or something close enough.

Thank you Paul, now I understand better also what Mark was telling me.
I have a pretty good experience in hardware and software but I have
never programmed a microcontroller. I have worked with most of the high
level programming languages (old fashion... fortran, C, IDL, etc) and I
have "played" with discrete analog electronics all my life. A little
also with IC's and digital components.

I will go ahead and try to find someone who can help me update my skills
and provide some more precise information on the Parallax kits.

Thank you all
Daniel