Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Possible cooperative project

On 2008-09-28 08:45:04 -0400, said:

On 2008-09-27 15:03:37 -0400, "Steve Lusardi" said:

Solve the problem by investing in a phased array, side scanning sonar. They
are very affordable and reliable. See the Interphase 180.

Not needed. I don't mind finding a channel by the braille method.

I've heard that about your area. A guy moved up here a few years ago,
and was SHOCKED at having to know about all the rocks. He said people
run aground all the time in the Chesepeke, and it's just mud. He said
he learned that he really has to be on his toes up here, and know
where all the hazards are, including the uncharted ones... I never
noticed that I had to be "extra" careful, because I've always sailed
here.

Yup, we're certainly worlds apart.

If I see a constant 9', we have no real care. Except for the channels
we cross, we typically see 12' in the main Bay up here.

If I depended only upon what's on the existing charts, the distance to
the next anchorage south (Swan Creek with what used to be Swan point in
between) would at least double. For quite a distance at low low tide,
the depth shows about 6 feet as I cut close to the way point I put
where the fish trap used to be. Cut that corner by 50' and we bump.

Now if I could get reliable information on the bottom north of that, I
might be able to cut a mile or two off our trip as I believe that fish
trap was on a 'lump'. A forward-looking sonar wouldn't do the trick for
us. Given reliable information that an unmarked passage exists I'll
search it out while dropping GPS bread crumbs, perhaps even spend some
time determining how wide or narrow the passageway is. Improved sonar
would help that, but I usually glance at the depth and speed only
momentarily while sailing. A graphical screen would be a distraction
almost all of the time.

--
Jere Lull
Xan's pages: