DK DK is offline

Default actual boating post.

Wayne.B wrote:
On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 10:29:06 -0700, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

Took the boat out of San Leandro Marina yesterday. Nice marina, free launch
and free washdown water. Looking at a day of California Halibut fishing.
very calm in the morning. Ran across the bay to Oyster Point at 37 mph. (32
knots) . Trolled Popsicles for nada. Not even a scratch. Live bait
receivers are too far away to run over for live bait. Another boat hails me
for a jumpstart. They have 7 halibut for 3 on live bait. Asked if I wanted
one and figuring I am out of luck today, take a barely legal 22+" 3.5# fish.
They tell me where they got the live bait and I go over to the South San
Francisco Sewage plant outfall and Sabiki up a few and go back to the
halibut grounds. Must have dropped the first bait right in front of a nice
halibut. 14' of water and about 4' from the top, the rod loads up. Finally
land a nice 8# halibut. Other than one Smoothhound shark that thought it
was a tarpon with all the aerobatics, was the last fish caught. Tide was
changing and the bite was off. A nice 75 degree sunny day. All you real
boaters should get out there and boat.

I've never used Sabiki hooks. Any tips for deployment and storage?

They are rather disposable. They can become a tangled mess right out of
the package.