Old Nick

Default West epoxy - expanding under LP?

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:12:18 -0700, BCC vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Just a guess from many bitter experiences. What looks "flat" in the
raw will not look flat under a smooth coat of paint. I usually either
work by feel to test flatness, or try to leave a small indentation,
and fill after the first coat as best I can. It may take a couple of
try's if you are really finicky about the result.

A year ago I moved some cockpit winches before painting the cockpit
with LP. Fiberglass boat with 3/4" ply inserts in winch areas. I
drilled out the old bolt holes to new wood and glass, filled them with
West epoxy and their easy sand additive powder - and sanded them flat.

Now they've domed up under the 2 coats of LP and the 2 part primer -
you can see where the bolt holes were/are by the circle of thin bumps.

Any ideas why the epoxy "expanded" up like this. There was lots of
time between the epoxy and the paint - several weeks.

I'm going to do additional work - so would like to rectify these bumps
- probable redrill and refill - but want to eliminate a second batch.

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.