Gould 0738

Default US occupation of Iraq unsustainable over long run, Congress warns

People are people, and all want to be free.

In acutality, "freedom" is a long way from the top of the food chain. If you
have nowhere to live, nothing to eat, no medical care, and no hope "freedom" is
a ridiculous luxury. Democracy works best in a country where basic needs have
been met, the populace is at least moderately educated and literate, and
without long traditions of internal warfare. People must be willing to
compromise for the common good if Democracy is going to succeed.

We now say it's our goal to establish a Democracy in Iraq. We'll need a lot of
luck- less fertile ground has seldom been encountered.