posted to alt.sailing.asa
jlrogers±³©[_2_] jlrogers±³©[_2_] is offline

Default single handling crusiers

wrote in message
jlrogers±³© wrote:
All my life I've "dreamed" about retiring on a boat and sailing from here
there, as the spirit moves me. However, my only experience is some lake
sailing, a little Gulf of Mexico experience, and four years on a destroyer
in the navy. And, except for a couple of years in the 90's, most of my
sailing was done 35 years ago.

Actually, the Navy experience can be valuable. For example, the way
the Navy handles dock lines is far better than the way most cruisers
do. 'Dipping the eye' and apply chafe gear are just two examples.

I have now retired and I signed up for a series of ASA lessons at a school
in Kemah, TX, just to bone up and get my feet wet, but haven't started yet
due to Ike.

My plan is to take the lessons, join a sailing club, and spend some time
afloat to see if the passion dissolves in the salt spray.

That's an excellent plan, it can be fun too. You may find a berth
crewing on a passage or delivery; best way to see if you really like
it.

Assuming it doesn't, I will want to acquire a relatively inexpensive
cruiser
for step 2. I.e., learning to live aboard, maintain the boat, and sail
alone with confidence.

Singlehanding is over rated IMHO.

Contessa
Westerly (Konsort)
Endeavour 32 Plan A
Cape Dory
Crealock (Pacific Seacraft)
Island Packet

Any of those would be great boats *if* properly equipped & maintained.
The Cape Dory will be the least roomy, the Endeavor the most roomy.
The Crealock would be my pick for heavy weather sailing but then I'd
prefer to avoid bad weather offshore.

Don't underestimate the importance of draft. If you have a deep keel,
you will be locked out of many desirable places on the South East
coast. My preference is about 4' draft or less, but that will
necessitate either a centerboard (which is a maintenance item) or
severely compromising windward ability.

Another caveat- if you're looking into an older boat, the level of
maintenance & upgraded equipment will be far more important than the
brand name stamped on the coaming. It would be easy to spend $60k
outiftting a small cruising boat... and not necessarily getting any
"fancy stuff."

Island Packets are great boats... roomy, well built, good sailing
characteristics...
Cape Dories are built like tanks and good sea boats too. No core
worries!
Contessa 32 is a legendary boat

Which brings me to my question: what boat would you recommend for the live
aboard trial? Something no older that say 1983, between 28 and 35', a
sloop, that could be bought for no more than $60,000.

Aw heck, you can buy several for that price... the question is, what
will you have in it by the time you're satisfied with the condition &
equipment?

My suggestions-
-Consider a larger range of boats. There is no reason why a
singlehander could not handle & maintain a 35-footer as well as a 30
footer.
-Don't get hung up on "type of boat" until you have been actively
sailing on at least a dozen different ones (and you'll rack up
underway miles on different boats faster than you think, once you get
started). Instead, consider characteristics & features that you like
and that 'work for you.' It's a very personal choice.

As for boats....
Morgan 30 & Morgan 34
Soverel 30 (older model)
S2
Albin
Rival
Moody

Maybe a bit to racy, but it's an S&S ....guaranteed classic!
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1836713

While you're in Kemah, take a look at this one
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1930404

CS built some great boats
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1752699

The Caliber is a well-respected boat too...
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1965179

I mentioned Moody, they built good boats too. Here's one of the few
aft-cabin boats I like
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1615826

"Capt. Rob" wrote:
We have several "old timers" at our marina who set off now and again
with boats suitable for your plan.

Oh really? And did you ask them what they think, Bubbles?

Pearson 35....this old timer even came as a yawl and some were fit out
for blue water. A bargain, even when refit.

"Even came as a yawl" meaning what, exactly? Are yawls good?

..... No doubt others
will have much more to add.

No doubt. And there's a good reason why.

"Charles Momsen" wrote:
Congratulations on your retirement. Rather than get the ideal boat
upfront,
buy a lower cost "value" boat first

He said he was retiring, not retiring in poverty with a big chip on
his shoulder.

More boats-

I'm not a big fan of wish-booms, but the cat-ketch rig is the easiest
to handle. IIRC these were built by Hinterhoeller
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1940305

Another one that's a bit on the racy side, but an awesome sailing boat
& comfortable enough for cruising
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=1874738

Oh and take a look at some Ericsons, too.

There's a gazillion boats out there JL. It sounds like you're really
got a handle on putting yourself into the position you want, rather
than focussing on "buying a boat." Gathering info & skills, and making
contacts, is a very important part of the picture.

And if you find yourself in the coasstal Carolinas, by all means let
us know. you'd be very welcome and I can guarantee some sailing and
also meeting some long-term sailors who will be glad to talk.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

The first boat I ever wanted was a Non-such. Never had one though. The
second was the Caliber 40' long range cruiser. Never sailed either, just
bought their hype. They are both worthy of consideration, but "fully fitted
out for cruising" wouldn't they would be at least 50% to 65% more expensive
than some of the other boats mentioned? And are they any better?