Jere Lull Jere Lull is offline

Default Chesapeake Bay

On 2008-09-24 18:47:08 -0400, "Roger Long" said:

"Jere Lull" wrote

The jets extend your baby's working area by tens of thousands of square
miles of the most environmentally "interesting" areas.

Draft is still 4' - 8" at full load so a lot of the bay is closed to
her anyway. It's the region between about 6 and 9 feet that will be
more available to her than if she had props. Nobody has actually
calculated what that area is. Somewhere between hundreds and tens of
thousands I would guess

Did you say that she draws under 5 feet before anything touches?

And a foot of that is essentially a protective KEEL?? (intentional or not)

And the "wheels" can't be damaged by small stuff???

OMG! Your baby's a perfect Bay boat for all her size.

LOCK her to the DOCK before the watermen find out

I assumed without looking that her draft was over 6 with a flattish
bottom. Things like that make a WORLD of difference around here.

And my estimate of her working area INCREASED by tens of thousands of
square miles, no joke!

We draw 4.2, about what you're describing all things considered.
(Whatever cuts through the mud is not really draft ;-)

***** I invite ANY experienced Bay boater to tell me I'm lying. It's a
free shot as I won't contest your assertion unless you sound like a
sock puppet. ******

Roger, you really don't know the Bay.....

-----

If I'm guessing properly, you'll be doing her trials in the Solomons area.

When you head east across the Bay, pay close attention to the depth
around the Honga or Bloodsworth.

Hell, watch the depth display when you go south around whatever point that is.

Come to think of it, North is sorta interesting too, but those fish
traps spoil the fun, marking the shallows and all.

And there's that interesting sand spit to the west where you could
probably nudge the bow onto the shore while reading 100'+ accurately

That is, if they wait that long.... The Solomons anchorage has some
interesting features. Their entrance can be fun to the uninitiated.
(the channels essentially define a diamond, but....)

If you want to sleep comfortably, do NOT examine the charts of the area
closely unless you absolutely have to.

I am laughing so hard, I'm crying as I image the look on your face the
first time an experienced helmsman takes her out after they're
confident in her.....

Oh, I really, really wish I were there to record it.

Roger, you really, really don't know the Bay.

And you don't "plow" through an oyster bar, you *hit* one and stop
very, very quickly.

I didn't mean to imply that plowing through was part of the mission
profile. I expect the boat would stop.

Oh, I knew that. Was just pullin' yo lahg.

DO watch for the locals' sense of humor, BTW. If you do NOT react,
they'll cut it closer next time. Practice faking it.

Roger, I expect you'll really, really, really learn to love the Bay
with their help.

ENJOY friend, take lots of notes.

Please report back on the impressions of a Yankee in King Chesapeake's Court.

-----

Okay, Bay boaters.... How many of you are in pain from imagining
Roger's expression(s)?

--
Jere Lull