cavelamb himself[_4_] cavelamb himself[_4_] is offline

Default Cool boat & travel computer

Larry wrote:
wrote in news:1067971e-5f9d-4aab-b310-
:

I have the smaller Asus ee with 7" screen and the great thing about it
is that it runs Linux and boots up in 20 seconds instead of the 4
minutes of a Vista trash machine. When in airports or anywhere with
wifi, I can check my e-mail, answer them, shut it and be putting it
away before everybody else's Vista or Windows machines have booted.

My Linux machine is the Nokia N800 Linux Internet Tablet, with a lot of
mods from the Linux hackers at the Maemo linux garage:
http://www.maemo.org/
where our freeware comes from.

The little tablet only runs at 400 Mhz on an ARM processor, but is like
you say very fast booting and running in Linux, not Bloatware. Hell,
the Gnumeric Spreadsheet app and Abiword full-featured word processor
are only a few MB of code.

Bootup is a little slowed because I have two 16GB SDHC Class 6 memory
cards stuffed with movies, music, map tiles for Maemo Mapper and
Wayfinder GPS programs, ebooks, and other stuff like documentaries, TV
comedy shows from BBC TV, etc. Maemo looks through the files during
bootup and it takes a while to wade through my piles....(c;

It's still WAY faster then even an 80GB WinXP Pro Gateway laptop.
During the bootup process, if you autoconnect through BT to the BT DUN
connected sellphone broadband, it isn't through displaying the logos
before Linux has the internet online and running....THEN displays the
home screen...(c;

Google Nokia N800 and Nokia N810. We have many videos. We stole the
Wii Remote video game controller for our games. Some smartasses wanted
to connect USB devices the tablet was never intended to support, so come
Canadians are buildling a little miniUSB to USB femail adapter with
appropriate electronics to hardware force the USB chipset into HOST/OTG
mode. Recently, I've installed some scripts and a wired LAN driver so I
can use the tablet on the directly connected LAN at home at 100Mbps,
instead of the Wifi radio link which is slower to respond. A Linksys
tiny USB 100M USB-to-Ethernet adapter runs off the router's DC on the
Cat5 cable and feeds the tablet's USB with internet,
directly.....totally cool in a portable device. I can connect to even
the Motorola Z6m sellphone's memory card (2GB) and move files on and off
over the bluetooth FTP and OBEX protocols to load and unload pictures,
music and my phone book.

Unhobbled like your Asus by the sellphone company bureaucrats, the
little Linux tablet is very addictive and new stuff comes out every
week!
http://maemo.org/downloads/updated/OS2008/275/
these apps are "released" for users. Hundreds more are in development,
which we're invited to help with, over in the garage area:
http://garage.maemo.org/

Find me a decent CAD to replace my beloved Design CAD and I'll convert
to Linux. Or a way to run without it (Wine still needs Win).

Until then, it ain't gonna happen.

I recently replaced my old Dell laptop (running 98 SE) with a Thinkpad
clone running XP.

XP ain't half bad (for Windoze) (once ya get the hang of it).

The USB connectivity is certainty more consistent.
And it boots quickly. Up in 30 seconds.
But I don't load a bunch of web stuff.

I used to be strictly a Cad and spreadsheet guy.

But these days, playing DVDs, photoshop, and cutting new movies rank up
there time wise.

But the think that keeps Ubuntu in the box is the CAD issue.

--

Richard

(remove the X to email)