posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bill Kearney Bill Kearney is offline

Default Let's get rid of NMEA

"Steve Lusardi" wrote in message
Meindert,
Very nice to hear from you again. You have been away quite some time. I
can't believe I am hearing this from you. You are the perfect person for
this thread. I think you need to think a bit outside of the box. As you
know, each NMEA manufacturer today is addressing the inadequacies of NMEA
with their own propriety solutions and selling them as the next best thing
in boat electronics, like SeaTalk

WERE reinventing, past tense. NMEA2000 is the solution for it, and it works
QUITE well.

Yet we have a huge, inexpensive commercial infrastructure all around TCP/IP
and yet the marine industry is trying to reinvent the wheel. You should
revel in this foolishness and consider this as a golden opportunity to
develop a transport network like the CAN bus SAE J1939 standard, but using
TCP/IP as the flexible transport medium.

Which screams of how little you understand about instrumentation networks.

I think the market is huge. There are a lot of floating customers out
their just waiting for this.

I call bull****. List actual numbers, not pie-in-the sky hopes.

Please also keep in mind that this same transport can also move all data
types including other, unrelated traffic like audio, video and other
computer related data streams.

Which, again, screams of how little grasp you have of how instrumentation
networks function.