posted to rec.boats.paddle,rec.scuba,uk.rec.boats.paddle,rec.boats.paddle.touring
Patrick, Whit Patrick, Whit is offline

Default Why the Law of the Sea has to be the Law of the Jungle?

I am a retired Coast Guard officer who has taught the COLREGS and Inland
Rules.

I suggest that all of you study and learn the Inland Rules of the Road.
These are available at:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/rotr_online.htm

In Part A, click on the "Inland" link and just progress through the rules
using the "Next Rule" link following the text.

If you are doing any open water crossings or are paddling in the area of
Block Island, Dry Tortugas, etc. you will also need to know the
International Rules.

This whole discussion has demonstrated the lack of knowledge the paddling
community has regarding the rules of our own hobby/avocation.

WCP
Oregon

On 8/14/08 8:25 AM, in article
,
"ComandanteBanana" wrote:

Well, I'm not going to speak in defense of the sardine in their
eternal quest to survive the big fish...

The issue here is, WHY A KAYAK OR CANOE MUST GIVE THE RIGHT OF WAY TO
THE MOTORBOATS?

Every weekend the intracostal waterway of Miami becomes a parade of
motorboats of all sorts, from the very big (the owners of this town)
to the very small (the noisy jet skis), often driven by intoxicated
drivers (I guess you call them "drivers," though seldom they are
accountable to the standards as vehicle drivers, like DUI), and almost
always running (or should I say "flying"?) up and down (again, with no
speed limit restrictions like regular drivers). So the task of
crossing these sea highways by paddle becomes something like a duck
crossing the hunting grounds, and you are the sitting duck...

But the ocean is also hunting ground. The other day (it was weekday,
hardly any boats out there), I went to out in my tandem kayak, which I
chose as bright as it could be (sunrise) with the paddles to match
(they could be more visible than the kayak itself), and out of nowhere
came this boat that passed us right in front, so much so that my
partner stopped paddling. The ocean was absolutely flat and it was a
nice sunny day, so the driver must have chosen to make it a close
call...

It wasn't a surprise for me though. The cigarette boats routinely roar
close to the beach to signal who the seas belong to. Hey, it belongs
to the big fish!

NOTE: The attendants of this West Marine store I went to to get a flag
for the kayak told me of the motorboats, "Hey be careful. They don't
care."

WELCOME TO BE JUNGLE
(beware of the big fish)
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote