Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Cool boat & travel computer

wrote in message
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:17:22 -0400, "Roger Long"
wrote:

"Silver K" wrote

Does it have wireless ethernet ? What is the capacity ?

Yes, wireless built in. 16 GM of solid state memory instead of a
mechanical
hard disk (strange not to hear a disk grinding when you click something).
1
GM of regular memory. The built in MMR/SD card reader allows for even
more
storage.

Battery life isn't great. I used it 45 minutes this morning on a full
charge and it said it was down to 30% after but that's not real critical
for
most of what I'll be using it for. It's also sometimes slow in responding
which I wouldn't expect from solid state memory but you can't expect a lot
from something this small. It's not a lot slower than my desktop machine
sometimes when it's doing heavy stuff.

BTW it's an Asus Eee PC 900.

What's old is new again!

http://oldcomputers.net/trs100.html

I used to supply these to news reporters so they could write stories
in the field and transmit them via an acoustic coupler that fit over
the mouthpiece of a pay phone to our ATEX mainframe editorial system.

I still have one of them that I saved for posterity. I have all the
manuals and accessories. It still works perfectly.

Ran all day or longer on 4 AA batteries. The news biz continued to use
these for a LONG time after they were obsolete, because they worked so
well for this particular application, and usually survived being
dropped and otherwise abused.

I had an old HP portable... one of the first solid-state ones. Battery
lasted 20 hours, with all sorts of programs on ROM chips. It was a bit slow
and the LCD screen sucked, but it wasn't bad. I finally dropped it.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com