Drew Dalgleish

Default composite construction, strip canoe plans

sebastian wrote:
thanks to the folks who provided feedback on my lofting question.

Im going to build the ranger {15'} instead of the prospector (16')
canoe, and im going to construct it with a kevlar-carbon layup instead
of wood strip. Can anyone suggest the best way for me to adjust the
size of the stations to accomodate the thin, uniform thickness of the
composite layup compared to the wood. I'm going to use 3 layers of
5oz kevlar and one or two layers of unidirectional carbon so im
guessing it will be about 1/8"-3/16" thick max. how thick is the wood
stripping and is it relatively uniform in thickness ie can i just add
1/2" to all my patterns and have a decent work around?

also i would like to not use foam core in my layup for simplicity and
minimizing weight...but will the canoe sink like a rock if its swamped
if its just kevlar/carbon/epoxy? I am wondering if i should use a
1/8" atc core cell between layers of kevlar...for buoyancy and
stiffness.

You won't be able to achieve a fair hull just using the stations
described in canoecraft. The kevlar will just lay flat between the
stations instead of springing out slightly like the wood does. If you
look at a factory built canoe you'll notice the ends are closed in
thats to create an air pocket to give bouyancy.