Larry Larry is offline

Default ST1000 Tiller Pilot modification report

Wayne.B wrote in
:

It's easy enough to do a ball park estimate. Assume something like
2/3rds power at cruising speed, and 1 gph for every 20 hp. That works
out to about 80 or 90 gph, about the same as a big sportfish or
motoryacht comparably powered. That seems like a lot at first glance
but I doubt they will be doing much long range cruising with it.

My only experience with larger motoryachts is the Hatteras 56 FBMY owned
by a friend. Her twin 730hp 8V92-TA twin turbocharged diesels could
make the fuel flow meter read 56 GPH if you ran her wide open, giving
Dan heart palpitations if he saw it...(c;

He drove it around like a trawler with a 50hp Perkins in it. Offshore,
I took the opportunity to clean the carbon deposits out of the exhausts,
leaving a really impressive black cloud miles long...covering up the
trail from the outlet of the mascerator pump.

She always ran better and started easier after I cleared her throat. Of
course, the number of no wake zones makes her planing areas rather
limited. She could make a beautiful wake going off towards the elated
surfers near the beach....

Opening an engine room door at WOT, it's a great idea to be wearing
hearing protection. Big two strokers can be LOUD!

As soon as I got her systems working, they decided they were too old to
haul it all down the marina docks any more, sold her and moved into a
nice house in a gated community in Mt Pleasant. Dan's wife said we
looked lost on weekends without the engine rooms to play in. She wanted
to get us an 8V92TA on a big engine stand for the multicar garage we
could take apart and put back together on Saturdays....(c;

I don't think the new snooty neighbors would have the same appreciation
for its wonderful sound revving up that we do, so the project was
scrapped before it started.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTRHYvVysQI
Dan's ran just like these....