Richard Casady Richard Casady is offline

Default radar offshore

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 17:35:41 GMT, Bruce in alaska
wrote:

Radar Transponders are a separate device, and
are not part a Marine Radar, fitted on a vessel. They are REQUIRED
to be fitted to most classes of SOLAS REQUIRED Vessels. They also are
not cheap. Last time I looked, the cheapest one I saw was $1400US, and
that was some years back.

Decades ago I watched general aviation adopt transponders. The price
went down and down. Not unlike computer equipment. So 1400 may be
high. I am thinking of adding radar to my 22 foot runabout. There is
one with a 18 inch antenna for about $800. I could add a hardtop, [or
is that hard dodger?], and mount all kinds of stuff on it. Lights,
horn, antennae of all kinds. Probably cost more than I payed for the
boat.

Casady