Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default ST1000 Tiller Pilot modification report

"Larry" wrote

Knowing how inefficient the jets are, how many GPH is she guzzling at 20
knots?

These boats actually spend a small proportion of their time at cruising
speed and only about 10% flat out. Most of the time is spent maneuvering
around slowly. The jets are even more inefficient at those low speeds but
total power requirements are so low that it isn't a big issue.

The real efficiency for a boat running around doing research in a shallow
bay is being able plow through an oyster bar if there is a navigational
error and still being operational as opposed to needing to be towed
immediately to a shipyard where they would spend the better part of a year's
fuel bill. The additional shallow areas they can operate in safely also
greatly increase her scientific value. There are hundreds of square miles
open to here that would be closed to a prop version.

Of course, two years ago, when we were all sitting around running the
numbers for jets vs props, we were saying, "Wow, even if fuel goes as high
as three bucks a gallon, these numbers still favor jets."

--
Roger Long