Matt Colie

Default zero clearance cutting tools?

Evan,

Don't try to cut to the hull surface on the first pass. The gain is not
worth the risk. As you will probably be working blind for part of the
cut. It might be best to cut it down, then clear it out.

If you don't want to buy tools:
Use the jig (saber) saw to cut as closely as it can, then go in with the
angle grinder and any wheel (course) at all. This should get you so
just the tabbing remains and you can clean that off with a sanding disk
on the angle grinder.

If you want to buy one or more tools:
The suggestion of a Fein Multi-tool is good for lots of strange
fiberglass boat work. It can do this, but it will not be fast.
A reciprocating saw witn a long blade would allow you to flex the blade
so it lies against the inside of the hull. The machine will be back
from that area of interest so your visability will be good. The saw can
be controlled to leave just a little of the tabbing radius. This is the
method I have used on more than a few jobs.

Good Luck - from another NA-ME that now makes a living at this stuff.

Matt Colie www.southpointechandler.com

Evan Gatehouse wrote:
I am going to trim some plywood frames that intersect the hull right at the
shoulder position of a few quarterberths. These are either 1/4" or 3/8"
plywood frames, tabbed both sides to the hull. By the way, I'm a naval
architect and mech. engineer so I have a pretty good idea of what I can and
cannot cut

I can cut down into the glass with a jigsaw, but the baseplate of the jigsaw
will bump the hull before I get close enough - and I would like to run the
cut line right down the hull for about 12".

So the tools I have available a

- angle grinder with cut-off wheel
- dremel tool with fiberglass cutting discs
- jigsaw

Any other tools that might work for a tight cut against the hull through
fiberglass tabbing? The only other one I can think of is a reciprocating
saw ("Sawz-All") but they are a bit hard to control and still get a nice
close to the hull.

I recognize I'll have to do some grinding / sanding of the last of the
tabbing but would like to minimize the amount of this.