posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default Let's get rid of NMEA

Poit wrote in
00.119:

Open standards has worked well for the
internet for years and this could be applied here as well.

AS much as I like open source and open standards, on boat electronics I'll
have to disagree. Profits would be so low with so few actual customers,
none of them would survive.....

How many people within 10 square miles of your house own a boat radar?

See my point? The market is really TINY, even if the clients are very
rich. Bill Gates is only gonna buy ONE radar for his yacht. The guy down
your dock only buys his because he can't get one for free on the cheap.

So, we sold 2 radars at amazing profit margins.....instead of one at lots
less profit margin in the open source radar world.

Manufacturers would flee the market if they couldn't rip off the rich
boaters with proprietary stuff to sell 'em more.......

The market is just not there.....