posted to rec.boats.electronics
Larry Larry is offline

Default Let's get rid of NMEA

Bruce in alaska wrote in news:fast-
:

One would NEED, to first have a Hardware Bridge that bridges the two
different Hardware Connection Standards. Then a Protocol Converter
that can translate between the two Protocols in question,
BiDirectionally....

--
Bruce in alaska
add path after fast to reply

I have this silly dream of a wifi network you just plug any DHCP-enabled
device into 12V. The "marine router" connects to it and assigns it an
DHCP IP, then makes a connection to its port 12345 and presents it an
automatic broadcast of every data statement being received at the
router. In that data stream is the IP and ID data of every instrument
available. When you turn on the new Wind instrument, the router reports
to all connections the new wind instruments ID/IP and starts feeding the
wind data to the broadcast stream.

Even your handheld walkie talkie, pocket GPS, tablet computer, laptop,
etc., all connect to the boat's network. The walkie talkie can display
lat/long/wind/course/speed/distance to waypoint....any data that's
available...right on the walkie screen. The chart plotter in the hand
held GPS shows the same data as the one at the helm or on the nav
software on the computer.

It all exists with off-the-shelf hardware. Software for it exists or is
easily written in Linux, holding down cost by using an open source
operating system every manufacturer can use for free. All instruments
will talk with all other instruments WITHOUT this proprietary bull****
trying to force the boater to buy only our equipment we have now.

Any device can connect DIRECTLY to any other device on the network. The
computer can directly connect on a separate channel to the autopilot,
for instance. They can swap data separately from the public broadcast
channel.

Ethernet - TCP/IP can make this happen this month.

There's no need to reinvent the wheel with a bunch of "marine", read
that "proprietary" nonsense....