posted to rec.boats.electronics
Steve Lusardi Steve Lusardi is offline

Default Let's get rid of NMEA

I have no idea what you are lamenting. Have you tried to hook up a HD TV
lately? If this a general whine about complexity, perhaps you should
recognize that complexity goes hand in hand with capability. You rarely can
have one without the other. Please understand that ascii is a 7 bit digital
character set, not a transport standard and I have no idea what a pic is.
Just what payment are you referring to for plugging in a lcd or for that
matter, what maufacturing license are you referring to?
Steve

"Poit" wrote in message
00.119...
It would be nice to be able to take a handheld gps, run ascii through a
pic
and into a lcd without have to pay through the nose just for the
information to do this. Off the shelf stuff is fine for real applications
for your boat or plane. But why should we have to pay for the signal that
comes out of our units? Besides if the manufacturer did't have to pay
license fees themselves, maybe they would pass on the savings.
Provider ----
http://www.pronews.com offers corporate packages that have access to
100,000+ newsgroups