posted to rec.boats.electronics
Boeland Boeland is offline

Default Let's get rid of NMEA

Steve Lusardi wrote:
We already have it. It's called Ethernet. Even if you have NMEA instruments,
you can use intelligent gateways that already exist. What problem?
Steve

"Poit" wrote in message
00.119...
I would like to see the community come up with an open standard that would
kill off NMEA. It could stay purely ascii, be bi-directional, easy to
use,
no binary mumbo-jumbo. It could be extensible like XML. Best of all it
would be free for everyone including manufacturers.
Provider ----
http://www.pronews.com offers corporate packages that have access to
100,000+ newsgroups

The problem is that applying these communication standards require
knowledge that most people don't have, so they stick to what is offered
and can interconnect without being a pro in data exchanges. If
protocols like Ethernet or TCP/IP are applicable to marine equipment it
would be wonderful to publish some installation procedures for people
who are ignorant of them.
Could this be done?
It sounds that NEMA instruments could communicate using the Ethernet
protocol. How do you do this?