Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] Bruce in Bangkok[_7_] is offline

Default radar offshore

On 19 Sep 2008 15:30:02 -0500, Dave wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:21:19 -0700 (PDT), said:

Surely the sailboat would give some radar return before the collision
(assuming it is on).

Not at all surely. I recall many occasions on the bridge of a Navy ship when
sailboats were not picked up on radar. And as you know, Navy vessels have
their radar on all the time, and someone monitoring it constantly in CIC.
It's particularly likely the sailboat won't be seen if it doesn't have a
large inboard.

While it may, or may not, apply to western flagged vessels, I have
twice called passing merchant vessels and asked if I was showing a
good return on their radar. In both cases there was a long enough wait
for a response to have allowed them to turn on the radar.

I don't *know* that their sets were off but it certainly appeared so
to me.

Both cases were S.E.A. flagged vessels.

The case in New Zealand of the Korean log carrier running down the
yacht seems to reinforce that premise.

Bruce-in-Bangkok