P.C.

Default bending wood - mahogany's tough

Hi

"Brian Nystrom" skrev i en meddelelse
I've tried steam bending mahogany and even at 3/8" x 1" with good grain
orientation, it doesn't bend well. I doubt that you'll be able to bend
your thicker stock to any significant degree. A better approach would be
to cut 1/8" or thinner strips and laminate them into the shape you want.

You could possibly try ammonia bending, but I have no idea if it will
work with mahogany.

Steaming wood the rule is that you can only boil an egg once.
Steam dried mahogony or any other steam dried wood is hard to bend, as some
substance within the grains are sort of hardened by the steaming.
Othervise mahogony acturly only need 3/4 the time steaming of Oak.
Want to steam bend wood, you need "green" wood , not steam dried.
P.C.