Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default radar offshore

"Edgar" wrote in message

wrote in message
Not looking behind you would be a serious error in operation of your
boat. You need to stay aware of all 360 degrees.

That was brought home to me many years ago. I was (in UK then) leaving the
Solent by the easterly channel in darkness.
Nice calm night, good visibility, beautiful display of shore lights, so no
problem.
Then I looked behind and to my horror saw a large dark shape with port and
starboard lights both showing with a white masthead light dead centre
between them. In other words a large ship was rapidly overtaking me. I got
out of the channel sharpish and ever since then have never failed to keep
an allround lookout.

Didn't have quite the thrilling experience... we were offshore, sailing
south from SF to Cabo (non-stop delivery), out about 80nm or so. Always kept
a watch and during the day saw a large vessel on the horizon behind us and
closing. Sure, we're stand-on. In any case, we made preparation to remove
the jibe preventer to head up from a broad to beam reach just in case.
Didn't like the idea of playing chicken with a 200m tanker. However, after a
few minutes it was clear that she was changing course to avoid us, so we
held our course. They never answered our hails, but we thanked them anyway.
We were on a 48' ketch.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com