Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] Wilbur Hubbard[_2_] is offline

Default radar offshore

wrote in message
: On Sep 18, 7:39 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
: wrote:
: wrote in message
:
:
: : If someone has unlimited electrical power, is he likely to keep his
: : Radar on all the time when he is far offshore? Offshore, far from
: : anything else with a functioning radar system, what would prevent
: : someone from detecting a sailboat before a collision. Assume clear
: : weather.
:
: Stupid question, I'm afraid. This is from the 72 COLREGS
:
: INTERNATIONAL-
: Steering and Sailing Rules
: RULE 7
: Risk of Collision
: (a) Every vessel shall use all available means appropriate to the
prevailing
: circumstances and conditions to determine if risk of collision exists.
If
: there
: is any doubt such risk shall be deemed to exist.
: (b) Proper use shall be made of radar equipment if fitted and
operational,
: including long-range scanning to obtain early warning of risk of
collision
: and
: radar plotting or equivalent systematic observation of detected objects.
:
: In clear language if you have operational radar it must be used when
: underway.
:
: I hope this helps.
:
: Wilbur Hubbard
:
: Wilbur, you are a dumbass. I asked because this did happen. The
: question is why it happened.

Like I explained and you failed to comprehend, it happened because there
wasn't a watch posted as required by the rules. A radar watch should have
been maintained because operational radar was on board. And a visual watch
should have been maintained because it is understood that radar is a
"supplemental" watch *in addition to* and not superceding a visual watch.

: Would someone far offshore turn off his radar if he had unlimited
: power?

Yes, because they are ignorant of the Rules and have a total disregard for
safety at sea.

: What would keep a radar from seeing an approaching sailboat. The
: sailboat had right of way but neither vessel had a lookout.

You just answered you own question. Neither boat had a lookout. If they
aren't maintaining a visual watch as required by the rules what makes you
think they care enough to keep a radar watch?

snip the rambling on and on with the display of ignorance of the real
world of sailing.

Wilbur Hubbard