Edgar Edgar is offline

Default radar offshore

wrote in message
Not looking behind you would be a serious error in operation of your
boat. You need to stay aware of all 360 degrees.

That was brought home to me many years ago. I was (in UK then) leaving the
Solent by the easterly channel in darkness.
Nice calm night, good visibility, beautiful display of shore lights, so no
problem.
Then I looked behind and to my horror saw a large dark shape with port and
starboard lights both showing with a white masthead light dead centre
between them. In other words a large ship was rapidly overtaking me. I got
out of the channel sharpish and ever since then have never failed to keep an
allround lookout.