[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default radar offshore

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 19:21:19 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I see that some radars can be set to look only in a specified arc and
ignore things elsewhere. I assume that is to avoid looking behind and
concentrate on looking ahead.

That is called blanking and is used to blank out the RADAR as it tries
to sweep through parts of your own boat that may be in the way. If you
have a pole mounted RADAR on the stern, for example, you set it to
blank as it passes the metal mast that is 20 feet away.

Not looking behind you would be a serious error in operation of your
boat. You need to stay aware of all 360 degrees.