[email protected] salty@dog.com is offline

Default Just a thought ;; there will be some very good bargains ..

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 22:42:57 -0400, Gogarty
wrote:

In article ,
says...
On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 16:30:18 -0400, Wayne.B
said:

Have you ever hung out at Larchmont or American YC ? There are a lot
of them sailing dinghys and other one designs for the fun of it.

Not sure those are the kind of boats he was talking about coming on the
market at attractive prices.

I agree with you on that.

Some years ago we were entering Oyster Bay in our ratty Dawson 26
sailboat, just passing the Seawanhaka Yacht Club, when we saw a man in
the water having some difficulty. Seems he took his paddleboard out
beyond where he could manage. Had to have been a Yaleie. Nobody else
could be so supercilious even while drowning. We offered to take him to
shore on our boat. No, would not get on our boat but did accept a line
to be towed. So we towed him. No conversation. When we got close enough
to the yacht club where he could go the rest of the way himself, he cast
off. Didn't want to be seen as a rescuee. Never even said thanks. I have
always had the feeling that he was actually dressed in Ivy League
kahkies in the water. But that must be my faulty memory and imagination.

On the same topic, the NY Times had an article some years ago about a
Wall Street type and his yacht racing. In the article, this guy came
across as a total jerk. It was clear from the article that his only
interest was winning races to impress people, nothing whatever to do
with boating. When he failed to win races despite huge expenditures and
alienating everyone who knew him, his family suddenly decided it would
be better to go to the mountains, or whatever. Sold the boat.

Can't tell you how many snotty over-priviledged youngsters we have towed
ashore, to no thanks.

Maybe it's something about YOU...