Harry the K Harry the K is offline

Default engine dies as soon as its put in gear???

wrote:
On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 06:11:58 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"jim" wrote in message
Eisboch wrote:
"Tim" wrote in message
On Sep 18, 8:16 pm, "Chuck" wrote:
We have a pontoon boat with a new Honda 4-stroke on it. The motor idles
fine and revs in neutral but as soon as we put it in forward or reverse
gear
it cuts out. Is there some special switch that is out of adjustment???

Chuck
Could be, Chuck. I dont' knwo a thing aboutt he Hondas, but Mercruiser
has a momentary kill swith that when the lower end in engaged into
either forward or reverse, there is a momentary "kill" that shuts the
ignition down for a split second so the lower end gears can engage
easier. The Honda may have the same type set up, but I really don't
know.

Now, if you shift it quickly from idle to forward with good throttle,
does the engine still die?

Actually, I think the Mercruiser momentarily kills ignition when
shifting "out" of gear into neutral. It has been a while, though, and
maybe I am mistaken.

Eisboch
Correctamundo Eisboch. I was thinking he might have fish line wrapped
around the prop, jamming it. Or the idle is set way too low. Hopefully one
of the experts is still hanging around to answer the question, but it
would be understandable if Harry drove them off again with his nonsense.

I was thinking something similar. The OP mentioned it was a *new* Honda 4
stroke. Being new, perhaps the gearing, prop shaft, etc. is not broken in
yet and the resistance is too much for the current idle setting.

Eisboch

Good thing you don't depend on your troubleshooting skills to put food
on the table. You'd lose a lot of weight.

TPS.